Monday, November 30, 2009

Streamline Tasmanian Tyre Service Building


The former Tasmanian Tyre Service Building (purpose designed) in the Launceston CBD is a wonderful example of streamline International Art Deco style architecture designed by GJF Amderson in 1938. It complements the former garage buildings opposite that were also built in the 1930s. Sadly most those structures have been demolished, but thankfully there remains enough to gain an appreciation of times past. This building has always fascinated me with it's smooth street corner curve and those original steel frame windows and mottled glass windows, of which sadly one has recently been smashed. I despair when I see this as I cannot imagine that the same glass originally used would now be even made. It has been adaptively reused over the years, including Pizza Hut, and was recently turned into a take-away pasta shop. A classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews