Saturday, May 22, 2010

Argyle Street Carpark - Hobart

Argyle Street Car Park block has been noted as being the first parking complex in Hobart, having been built in the 1960s.  The complex symbolises and tells a story of a time when more and more people were getting access to the automobile and this is also reflected through the massive changes that took place in the 1950s/60s with construction of main highway arteries that have to cope with commuters in and out of Hobart.  There are 2 main parking complex's within Hobart CBD.  Argyle Street Car Park is important in showing the arrival of independent travel as well as being the first in Hobart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews