Saturday, April 7, 2012

Wool & Skin Merchants Industrial Building - Launceston

I love the dark red brick of this former industrial building, and the fact that the original business name still exists on the top of the building 'Wool & Skin Merchants'  The original steel frame windows with that non-transparent glass are so typical of 1930s-1950s design asthetic.  I notice that when a window smashes in such buildings it's more often than not replaced with transparent glass.  I imagine that this glass isn't made anymore, or it would be expensive to reproduce.  I love the small details like the original windows as they play a central role in retaining the buildings original design aesthetic. Without such features the original visual language of the building would be harder to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews