Thursday, August 8, 2013

1960s Hobart Railway Roundabout restoration complete!


I've got some great news to share; the iconic 1960s Railway Roundabout in Hobart has been restored after being out action since the late 1990's.  Back in a blog post I did on the fountain in 2009, I said "Turn it back on and let the water flow!" Thankfully the fountain has been resorted faithfully and there have been new art installations that echo 1960s design.  The fountain is one of the first iconic symbols you see as you enter Hobart along the Brooker Highway and it's a wonderful that Modernist design such as the Railway Roundabout fountain is being recognised as important.


2 comments:

  1. Great that it has been restored. So we have to do the hard work to read the original of your posts. Credit I guess to Hobart council. I don't think there will be any chance of Melbourne's Snowden Fountain being put back. Where is it? http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2009/03/snowden-gardens.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great... your 2009 post was successful :) Which organisation made the decision to let the fountain stop and who finally made the decision to let it work again? Who provided the funds?

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews