Friday, April 29, 2016

Jaffa House - Hobart


Hobart is an exciting place for me to explore 20th Century Modernism.  The last real boom of architecture and design was in the mid 20th Century.  Hobart being the capital of Tasmania has the larger number of commercial highrise buildings and residential flats.  Whilst major towns like Launceston, Burnie and Devonport have their share of larger 20th Century structures, Hobart can lay claim to the tallest buildings.

Whilst in relation to mainland Australia the buildings were not built as tall, I nonethless find it very interesting to wander around and think about how before buildings such as Jaffa House (pictured) this building and ones like it changed the visual landscape of Hobart from a few levels to mini highrise.  It wasn't until around the late 1950s that the Melbourne CBD height limit was lifted from 11 levels, so back in the 1950s capital cities would have had a similar landscape of buildings in terms of height.

I love walking around the compact CBD and looking up at buildings like Jaffa House as they tell a story about Hobart and its evolution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews