Monday, July 31, 2017

My Friends, Deco & Brutal


These 2 landmark buildings are design objects of real beauty. As you walk towards the Hobart waterfront you are greeted by these solid designs of grandeur.  In the foreground is the former Hydro Electric Commission building, now used by the Hobart City Council.  The building to the rear is the current Hydro offices designed in the Brutalist aesthetic, the sharp concrete angles are also a real joy to look up at an photograph.  Much like the 10 Murray Street Government offices, the Brutalist Hydro building stands tall and to the side of the Art Deco building, allowing breathing space and a view of both that is grand, allowing a story of both periods to prevail. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews