Friday, October 30, 2009

Art Deco Apartments - Hobart Style


Move beyond a town or cities CBD in Tasmania and out into the suburbs and you will more than likely come across some wonderful post war homes and apartments. The need for housing after the Second World War witnessed large scale housing projects. The flats (pictured) are in Hobart and show a wonderful example of art deco streamlining. The external features haven't changed at all since it was built some 70 years ago. It's as popular with residents now as it was when it was first built. In an era when the environment is of prime concern, population boom and petrol price increases, apartment living and development of them must seriously be reconsidered to lessen the effects of urban sprawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews