Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lyprenny House - former Royal Derwent Hospital


Lyprenny House formed part of the massive complex that was the Royal Derwent Hospital in New Norfolk. The complex was designed in the late 1960s at a cost of $500,000. It was Australia's longest running state institutionalised care for the mentally ill, operating from 1830 until its closure in 2000. Lyprenny House is an important link which helps to document health care on the site that spans colonial Georgian, Federation, Art Deco and Modernism styles. Like all the buildings on site is has been prey to vandalism and is in a bad state. Plans were to convert the building into residences, but at present they remain in an abandoned state.

1 comment:

  1. Its quite weird that the oldest building at Willow Court 1830 Barracks is right next door to newest 1960's Lyrepenny. I guess it provides a good comparison.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews