Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Corner Store - A Fading Memory?


The local corner store, (this one in Hobart) something that's been taken for granted in our cities and towns. Walking down to buy some milk and bread, the newspaper.....but sadly their demise is evident on suburban street corners as larger shopping chains out-compete and use their massive marketing campaign allures to the point where corner stalls are forced to close down. They have become the latest range of abandoned modernist buildings throughout our cities and towns. Take a drive around and there are countless former corner shops that now lay empty. The same has slowly been happening to many of the independent petrol stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews