Saturday, January 23, 2010

Salvation Army - Burnie

Burnie is a fascinating place to explore if you are after Modernist design. There is even a self guided Art Deco Tour, complete with mp3 audio download. Although the cities Art Deco heritage is prominent, a walk around the streets reveals that many buildings have been erected in the Bruatlist style, including the dominant Reece House, Post Office and Fire Station and the Salvation Army (pictured) to name but a few. The Salvation Army Building is a fine example of symmetry and curve. One day, if buildings such as these pictured stand the test time and/or demolition, they too may gain their rightful place in demonstrating our important modernist architectural heritage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews