Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Post War Home Launceston


I enjoy looking at many post-war suburban houses and their simple and refined geometric shapes and forms. I find the one of the most defining and interesting features of these post war homes to be the railing supports and their garages. I think because the railings are more often than not painted white, this contrasts well against the red brick of the home, and I like the subtle variances in designs that they the railings can have, such is the case at this home.

The garages of these post war homes hold visual appeal, often reminding me of something that looks like it could be placed into a dolls house, as the entrance space and short height create the illusion of the garage space being smaller than it probably really is. There are quite a few interesting post war garages around Tasmania. There is one in Launceston that has 3 small portholes and its painted white, which works so well against the red brick facade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews