Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Nuts & Bolts - Launceston Art Deco

I always enjoy the humble art deco buildings, usually on the outer fringes of towns and cities such as this commercial building in Launceston. There is a roller shutter on the main windows and these are drawn or closed depending on the sun at different times of the day and year. The left side of the building has its original period entrance. I love the symmetry of the building. I reckon that it may have been originally designed to house 2 shops as there are identical doors on either side of the main facade. The symmetry continues with the windows and the classic stepped art deco detailing. A classic art deco building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews