Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Former Devonport Maternity Hospital Saved from Demolition

The iconic post-War built Devonport Maternity Hospital has been abandoned for some time now, and since then it has been badly damaged and has been given a lot of media attention in regards to issues surrounding health and safety.

It's been reported that the complex has been sold to a Melbourne developer who plans to convert the site into 50 apartments.   The previous developer had plans submitted for apartments too, but nothing eventuated from this.  Let's hope that this new owner comes through and converts a Modernist gem. Let's hope that the iconic period features, such as the curved balconies, are retained.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a photo of what it used to look like, before the vandals and climate did their worst? I hope the new owners can restore the original elegance.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews