Sunday, November 21, 2010

Big Box the Death of Launceston City Heart

Views looking into Launceston CBD

Art Deco & Modernism Tasmania
letter to the editor regarding the proposal of Big W being introduced into Northern Tasmania.

After I undertook a recent architectural study across Australia, I was surprised by the number of central business districts that are suffering. Abandoned shops and empty streets were the norm in many towns, and this I believe is due in large part to urban sprawl and big box developments.

It's time for authorities who have discussions with Big W executives to push for a site within the city confines, where public transport is easily available.

To build on the city fringes will in time create busier roads with people having to drive and slowly kill off city businesses.
Launceston thus far has escaped the onslaught of massive shopping complexes and malls. Whilst I believe that big box developments have a place in cities, from my experiences their place is in the city confines if they are to contribute to a city, not wreak it.

Compared to many struggling mainland towns, Launceston city is vibrant and the shopping experience is varied. Please think ahead for the future of Launceston city, and build a Big W within the city confines, don't just agree to a new shopping centre placed on the fringes of the city that will irreversibly damage the city heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews