Thursday, December 30, 2010

Launceston Bowls Club - A Post War delight

There's something about bowls clubs that are quite impressive on many levels. The well maintained lawns, gardens and green space that often border the bowling green and the little huts such as this one featured that evoke a time gone by.

The well maintained building and landscape remind me of post war homes where not a thing was out of place in the front yard, and grass was cut away in a perfect line away from the edges of the concrete driveway.

The small meeting place buildings are so typical of post war design, and remind me of shacks down on the beach or the shed down the back that the 1950s man would have once called his second home. The flat angled roof is a give-away of it's modernist credentials, as is the old fencing in the background, likely to be the original from when the complex was built.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews