Saturday, January 28, 2012

J Minty & Co Sheet Metalworkers - Mid 20th Century gem


Some time ago I posted about this wonderful building in Hobart, mentioning its wonderful 1950s designed glass curtain wall.   Another impressive feature that still exists is the neon sign of the company that still runs out of this building. This is a rare treat to find the original neon font still in-tact.  Check out the concrete lipped overhang too, this was used extensively in many buildings of the period in Hobart.  It's small details like these that combine to tell a story of mid century design, and part of our history. 

 
This building is a joy to photograph, standing alone on a busy street and is a rate in-tact building with it's glass curtain wall, concrete lip overhang and wonderful period neon typeface. Everything is just so functional and proportional it makes me want to drool!


2 comments:

  1. Definetely drool-worthy Thomas.
    Have you looked at Stephen Banham's Characters? Lots of pics of wonderful signs to drool over and a good read too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow Kylie, that looks like a wonderful book, I have to check it out! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews