Saturday, July 21, 2012

Former Nurses building - Devonport Maternity Hospital

Many hospitals had nurses accommodation on site, which included the former Devonport Maternity Hospital.  I've documented the former hospital site on several occasions (see here), it remains abandoned, but plans are for redevelopment into apartments.  The former nurses building is used as accommodation, and remains as an in-tact example true to its original design and mimics the abandoned hospital that stands in front of it.   

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm, I think the nurses building would make a nice apartment block. Hopefully not too many changes necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell from the records when this block of flats was built for the nurses? By the style, I am guessing just post-world war two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine they would have been built around the same time as the hospital, so the early 1960s.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews