About Thomas Ryan Photography

This major photographic project documents 20th Century Modernism throughout Tasmania. Join me, Thomas Ryan, on a photographic journey as I document Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism through the camera lens. Art Deco, Inter-war, Post War, Brutalism,are just some of the styles I document in this fascinating period in Tasmania's built history.

If you would like to get in touch with me, please visit my website, Thomas Ryan Photography. You can also contact me via social media on facebook and g+ All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan. All rights reserved, unauthorised use is prohibited.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Streamline Art Deco - Launceston

This wonderful streamline Art Deco building stands on a commercial corner street in Launceston.  It wasn't so long ago that this building was at risk of demolition, slated to be demolished.  This precinct where the building is located was a commercial/industrial area - this building stands as a reminder of this past.  I just love streamline buildings that wrap around corners and the original windows! How the glass windows wrap around the building is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. It is a fine building and the black and white photo is very flattering.

    My father built my grandmother's cream solid brick (unusual) house in about 1959. It was triple fronted and had three panoramic curved glass windows and they cost of a lot money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think it is a sleek and refined corner building, and it would have been a tragedy to pull it down. And for what? That particular street in Launceston has not been overdeveloped. All the buildings look as if they are sticking to the 2 storey level.

    ReplyDelete