Saturday, September 9, 2017

Tasmanian Brutalist Architecture - Beauty in Concrete


As I travel around Tasmania photographing Modernism, an architectural period that features strongly throughout the built landscape is Brutalism. There are a wonderful number of Brutalist buildings in Tasmania with a broad range of uses, and like all periods of design there are many in-tact examples throughout Tasmania.  I love the use of concrete here and the way it splays on angles and the blue panels amongst the concrete mass.  Just beautiful!   The clarity and simplicity of repeating lines and angles is refreshing and its wonderful to see the original raw concrete panels still visible.  As Brutalism has fallen out of fashion some buildings get painted over.  Check out my website for my ongoing project photographing Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism www.tryanphotos.com/Projects/Tasmania/Index and follow the project on Instagram www.instagram.com/tasmanianmodernism/

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews