Sunday, May 15, 2011

Modernism down the toilet - Columba Falls Toilet Block

I wonder sometimes what some people must think when one photographs a period toilet block! Nonethless no building is left alone in the pursuit of finding Modernist design, the search takes us to places where others do not dare venture!

This 1950/60s toilet block at the iconic Columba Falls walking track on Tasmania's North East stands out amongst the temperate rainforest. The design is classic 1950/60s with each end of the building jutting on a slight angle and the square windows another give-away and interesting use of stone on each corner.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I never considered this toilet block on it's design merits.

    Interesting note: the water for the toilets is actually gravity fed from a small creek on the hill behind the block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lots of very interesting (architecturally) toilet blocks here especially along the coast (although I've never taken any photos!) and bus shelters (still some left) and child health clinics etc Some of those old utilitarian public buildings are beautiful I often wonder if other people notice them...

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews