Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Textured Bricks & Curves Make A Hobart Art Deco Home

This home in Hobart uses textured bricks that sweep around the home in order to achieve an interesting and striking Art Deco residence.  This brick was used widely throughout Tasmania, but what makes this home rather unique is that the original bricks haven't been painted over, as has been done with many other homes that are of a similar style.  It's almost an early version of the Brutalist style was to follow after the War, in exposing concrete instead of hiding it through paint etc.  The front door is also period styling with angles timber and glass a main feature.

1 comment:

  1. I think the sweeping shape, the windows and the views were terrific, but the original exposed bricks might have been tougher to live with. I presume that biscuit colour is the natural colour of the bricks.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews