Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Australia Day - The Forgotten Corner Store, an Australian Icon Lost

Followers of my blog would have seen several posts on old shops and petrol stations that are slowly and quietly disappearing throughout Tasmania.

This Corner Store in Launceston stands quietly and forgotten. It's represents a fading memory of what was until recently a common throughout Australian suburbs. What we often taken for granted buildings and places that can disappear so quickly. It's places such as this corner store that have given generations of Australian's fond memories - buying bread and milk, playing arcade computer games, lollies, and handing out with school friends!

The humble corner store has played a large role in shaping Australian social history and identity, and this Australia Day Art Deco & Modernism pays homage to the corner store.

1 comment:

  1. hi Ryan I would like to find out where in Launceston this building is
    regards
    narelle

    rubyvictorialetterpress@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews