Saturday, October 8, 2011

1950s retro York Park Entrance Gates - Launceston


York Park in Launceston has undergone many changes and upgrades in recent times, and thankfully the main entrance gates from the late 1950s still remain amongst the vast expansions of the sporting ground.

The post war period in architecture is fascinating, as the use of steel was becoming more popular in architecture design.  The use tubular steel here in the York Park entrance gates create a strikingly light and airy design with a semi-transparent arched roof and brick detailing. Sadly, another sticking Modernist design, a large Brutalist grandstand was demolished in recent times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews