Tuesday, August 17, 2010

University of Tasmania Hitton Hall #4

(Source: Archives Office of Tasmania: AB713-1-6938)

Hitton Hall is an imposing post war design that stands alone on the hillside. It was originally designed to accommodate students, but to my knowledge it is now used as the School of Education Building.

The building is an excellent example of this period of architecture, built at a time when funding and building materials were at a shortage.

There is a clear move away from the decoration of the Art Deco period, with adornments stripped to their essentials. Features are expressed through the central staircase column and glass paneling. There is a second floor verhanda, and the roof has an interesting angular shape.

Since this archive photograph was taken, the young gum trees have grown large around the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews