Saturday, March 3, 2012

Adult Education Building - Devonport

This functionalist building located in Devonport is typical of many Government buildings from the period.  The main entrance is the major focal point with the use of purple tiles. Tiles were a popular building material in the 1950s and 1960s. I enjoy the way the concrete staircase tapers out towards the edges, and how the white concrete banding at the main entrance is stepped which leads the eye inwards to the main entrance. The curved overhead lintel is also another complimentary feature.

1 comment:

  1. I also love the two horizontal rows of windows such that the front wall is half glass. There is nothing as delightful as natural light inside.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews