Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Bridge of 1960 - Mid 20th Century Overpass Design

The Post War period heralded the boom in people being able to own their own cars, and as a result there was the need to build roads, highways and overpasses and multi-story car parks to cope with the insatiable demands of independent travel.
This overpass footbridge that spans a dual lane highway in Tasmania is typical of the period. Raw concrete and steel frame balustrades are the main features and they provide a simple effective means of getting from one side to the other. This pedestrian bridge has a slight arch, enhancing it's overall visual impact.

2 comments:

  1. Well hello and aren't you a treasure of a blog? Loving checking out all these beautiful buildings, and especially in black and white images, because it shows the architectural form in its purest geometry. Happily following you so I don't miss out on these great discoveries. I can feel another trip to Tasmania with my camera is much needed!
    Greetings from a designer just across the water in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Virginia and for your comments. Tasmania has such a wonderful diversity of subjects for creative pursuits, especially 20th Century design and Architecture. If you are interested in my blog, you may like my sister blog "Australian Art Deco & Modernism Architecture" over at http://www.modernaus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews